Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Suuboq: A Primer

Lately I have been trying to teach Xavier to play suuboq. Suuboq is a very old game, played all over Anakhjur, and among the Primatics it is one of the seven civilized virtues. Suuboq can be learned in an hour, but so far I have been playing it for my whole life and I am not so presumptuous as to think I have mastered it. There is always something new to learn. The first rule of play is "Position is the master." How do I describe suuboq to you, who has never seen it? Among humans, the great game of strategy is chess. Well, suuboq is the great game among my people. But it is not like chess; or not much like it. Nor is it like the other great game of Go. Rather it is a seeming hybrid of the two. Movement, combined with stasis. Like water and iron together. Is it any wonder that the game has been taught amongst the cadets and young soldiers of my people for three thousand years? To learn suuboq is to learn to command.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home